Home » I Have Been Having Anxiety Attacks and Major Stress Problems

I Have Been Having Anxiety Attacks and Major Stress Problems

I am a stay at home mother of two young kids. i have always suffered with depression and anxiety. but lately i have been losing control of myself. i find the littlest things are making me so upset i either cry or get angry. I can’t handle the smallest disagreement and i have been thinking the worst of everything. i have very low self esteem and something as simple as not being able to find my shoes can set me off into a fit of rage that ends with me crying. i dont know what to do. ive tried exercising and yoga and nothing seems to work? are there any natural herbs or anything over the counter that can help me calm down and not feel so stressed and anxious all the time?

A.

It seems that you have tried many things except the one that is most important and the one that has the highest probability of actually working: professional help. I’m wondering why you haven’t done that yet. Depression, anxiety and stress are some of the most common mental health problems. They are highly treatable by mental health professionals.

Many people erroneously believe that they “should” be able to cure their own psychological problems. Perhaps that is why you have tried “everything” but seeking professional help. Antiquated attitudes about psychological health prevent many people from seeking the proper assistance. Not seeking treatment often leads to a greater level of suffering for a longer period of time.

The most efficient way to treat these issues is to start by contacting your primary care physician, asking for a referral and meeting with a mental health professional. He or she will conduct an evaluation, determine a diagnosis and recommend a plan of treatment. In one session, you will have objectively identified what is wrong and will have a plan for treatment. Medication may also help to “take the edge off” while you work through these issues in therapy. Please take care.