Home » Ask the Therapist » There’s a Voice in My Head that Sometimes Controls What I Do

There’s a Voice in My Head that Sometimes Controls What I Do

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I was have been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety disorder. I have this voice in my head that talks to me and tells me what to do. Sometimes it says things like “if you don’t go do this you’ll die” other times it tells me to cut or to kill myself. It tells me I’m worthless and a failure. I also spend a lot of my time talking to myself and the voice in my head. It’s not an external voice, I’m not hearing it, I know it’s in my head. I asked my psychology teacher and she said that may be schizophrenia. I am afraid to ask anyone else because people think I’m crazy. I also don’t have the social skills to even approach anybody. I believe I may have Asperger’s syndrome as well because I have absolutely no social skills whatsoever and people think I’m rude because of it and my girlfriend has pointed out that I have these weird obsessions. Do you have any advice for me? 

There’s a Voice in My Head that Sometimes Controls What I Do

Answered by on -


A: Yes, I have some advice for you … go get some professional help.  Either go back to the person who diagnosed you with ADHD and an anxiety disorder or ask your parents to take you to someone else. Hearing voices, especially ones that tell you to do things, is not normal and is not typically part of the diagnoses you list here.   

Auditory hallucinations can be linked to several things, including schizophrenia, severe depression, bipolar disorder and some types of dissociative disorders. There are also some medical conditions that can cause hallucinations. Getting an accurate diagnosis from a mental health professional now, while you are still young, could be crucial in avoiding more severe problems later. 

Furthermore, you don’t have to have good social skills to participate in therapy. In fact, therapy can help you improve your social skills, which will help you interact more effectively in your personal relationships. 

Don’t worry about being “crazy” or about what anyone thinks. No one besides you and your parents need to know about  your treatment, but please talk to your parents soon about getting professional help. You can also talk with your school counselor or nurse, or your family physician, to get an appropriate referral. I hope things get better for you soon.

All the best,

Dr. Holly Counts

There’s a Voice in My Head that Sometimes Controls What I Do

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Dr. Holly Counts is a licensed Clinical Psychologist. She utilizes a mind, body and spirit approach to healing. Dr. Counts received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Wright State University and her Masters and Doctoral degrees in Clinical Psychology from Nova Southeastern University. Dr. Counts has worked in a variety of settings and has specialized in trauma and abuse, relationship issues, health psychology, women’s issues, adolescence, GLBT, life transitions and grief counseling. She has specialty training in guided imagery, EMDR, EFT, hypnosis and using intuition to heal. Her current passion involves integrating holistic and alternative approaches to health and healing with psychology.

APA Reference
Counts, H. (2018). There’s a Voice in My Head that Sometimes Controls What I Do. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 24, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 30 May 2014)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.