Home » Unable to Emotionally Connect

Unable to Emotionally Connect

No matter how hard I try, I continuously feel disconnected from people and the feeling of not belonging. I am unable to develop meaningful relationships or to connect emotionally whether it is with a friend, family, or boyfriend. I feel like I don’t belong where I am at and that I should choose a completely different path in my life (changing country + career change). It got to a point that I feel disconnected from myself and my feelings. I am a robot. Why do I feel that way?
Thank you for your insights.

Unable to Emotionally Connect

A.

Thank you for this question. There is a saying: “Wherever you go, there you are.” It means simply making career and geographic changes in your life won’t change the core issues. I would highly recommend you finding a group therapist in your area. Group therapy has three major advantages over individual therapy: First, other people in the group will have experienced the same symptoms and feelings that you’ve indicated here. This means you’re not alone. Secondly, group therapy offers the opportunity for many people to give feedback on your thoughts, feelings and behaviors. You are likely to hear how other people have found a way through these emotions.

Finally you will have a chance to experience the correction that is needed to interact with people in way that leaves you feeling better. Your reactions and inhibitions will be challenged by group members, while you simultaneously feel their support. This is the necessary process to have change take place. The supportive and interactive environment of the group will help you reevaluate your thoughts and feelings for the better. The find help tab at the top of the page can help you locate someone in your area.

Unable to Emotionally Connect