Home » Ask the Therapist » Applied for Social Security for Adult Daughter with Mental Health Issues

Applied for Social Security for Adult Daughter with Mental Health Issues

My adult daughter was diagnosed at age 6 with ADHD, ODD, then again at age 10 with bipolar disorder, ODD and anxiety disorder. She had a 26.5 designation “severely emotionally disturbed”. Sadly we never applied for SS when she was a child, just didn’t know. Now at 23 she lives at home, had never worked, driven a car, had a bank account. She was out of treatment from 18 to 22 but self medicated. Last year we added her to my husbands healthcare, Kaiser. She is still suffering with severe symptoms, but Kaiser refuses to treat her for her previous conditions and only focus on Borderline Personality. We applied for SS and need a letter but Kaiser will not provide a letter as they said, they just don’t do that EVER. So now what? Her counselor actually said to her in front of me, “You need to quit having temper tantrums and tough it out!” She is self harming so I am concerned about this of course. Also, they said, go get another doctor to do an eval and get it from them. How is a “brand new doctor” going to help? Any advice would be great. Thank you so much.

A.

It may be difficult to acquire the necessary paperwork to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). Some doctors and insurance companies may be reluctant to help. You should ask why your daughter’s doctor and insurance company are reluctant to help.

The process of applying for SSDI can be quite challenging. In many cases, applicants are denied upon their first attempt and this is especially true for individuals with mental health disabilities. If her application is denied, she should appeal the decision.

Another consideration is to hire a lawyer who specializes in SSDI claims. These attorneys are familiar with the filing process and can fast-track her appeal. They also typically only charge a fee if they are successful in their appeal. Often their fee will be paid out of the disability award. Please take care.