Home » Ask the Therapist » I Cannot Remember Things Before the Age of 14

I Cannot Remember Things Before the Age of 14

I realize I am relatively young and that I shouldn’t have a lot of memory problems but I have been unable to remember my past years of life its like at the age of 14 the slate was wiped clean I can not remember anything pictures seem like ghosts to me I can not recollect times that are simple to remember to others when I try to remember It always ends in disappointment because I can not remember. the “oldest” memory I have is at the age of 14 my great grandmother died I can remember every detail even what I was wearing at the time ,my great grandmother was the closest person I had she was my confidant we had many similarities and I saw her every day but its like after she died as I said earlier the slate was wiped clean can you please explain to me why I have no memories and possibly suggest a way to maybe regain some of those lost memories.

A.

I would ask your parents to set up meeting with your pediatrician. I would explain the problem to him or her to make sure that there are no physical causes for this. If it turns out that everything is okay medically then the pediatrician can refer you to someone who can help you unlock this mystery.