Home » Ask the Therapist » Stopped Meds a Year Ago and Struggling to Work

Stopped Meds a Year Ago and Struggling to Work

Several years ago I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and after several hospital admissions this was changed to Type 2 Bipolar. About a year ago I gave birth to a son and I managed with mild depression to manage but due to interference of routine etc with a young one I stopped my medication, my doctor knows this but could not persuade me otherwise and before this had intentions of discharging me as I was doing well. Just recently I have been quite low although maybe not depressed. I have no motivation to do anything, I am quite distance towards my son, my appetite has decreased and I feel hopeless.

I am also having the issue of being unable to work, my work life for several years has been chaotic, I have been unreliable and of course my moods affect my performance. I have tried to return but I really struggle and I cannot afford not to work and I’m really stuck. I feel my telling my doctor this I sound like I am playing on my ‘condition’ and that I can work really — which at times I can but only about half the time.

I do not want to talk to my doctor as I feel I have let everyone down by stopping meds and I am holding onto to the fact that there was intentions of being discharged really soon.

Please could you offer some advice.

A.

Thank you for sending us your email. I deeply appreciate the description of your journey. And I think your physician will, too. He is in the best position to help because he knows your history, understands the meds and, as a professional, knows the course the process of healing can take.

It might seem hard to believe but the embarrassment and hesitation to talk to him may actually be part of the depression that has set back in. The part of you that found the courage to send this letter is the part that you believe in — and your physician believes it.

If it is too difficult to do on your own, ask a friend or family member to go with you. This may help cushion the initial meeting.

But if this still isn’t okay you can bring your concerns to a new psychiatrist. Explain your history, the measures taken, and where you are at now, and he or she should be able to help.