Sex Question

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a sex question. My fiance has had trouble getting it up lately, and getting excited for sex, even emotionally. I suggested he talk to a therapist, since he will not talk to me. He wants me to attend therapy as well, but I feel uncomfortable with that, also I know this sounds mean and I know there’s me to blame as well, but I just feel that it’s more his issue to work out with his therapist. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Sex Question

Answered by on -


You are not wrong for feeling this way, but going with your boyfriend to therapy at least once will show support. This is a difficult issue for both of you, but having mutual support for each other as you figure out the solution is important. My guess is that after a few sessions together your boyfriend may be more willing to go it alone.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral

Sex Question

Daniel J. Tomasulo, PhD, TEP, MFA, MAPP

Dan Tomasulo Ph.D., TEP, MFA, MAPP teaches Positive Psychology in the graduate program of Counseling and Clinical Psychology at Columbia University, Teachers College and works with Martin Seligman, the Father of Positive Psychology in the Masters of Applied Positive Psychology (MAPP) program at the University of Pennsylvania. He is Director of the New York Certification in Positive Psychology for the Open Center in New York City and on faculty at New Jersey City University. Sharecare has honored him as one of the top 10 online influencers on the topic of depression. For more information go to: He also writes for Psych Central's Ask the Therapist column and the Proof Positive blog.

APA Reference
Tomasulo, D. (2018). Sex Question. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 24, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.