Home » I Feel Violent Towards People Who I Don’t Know

I Feel Violent Towards People Who I Don’t Know

6 months ago I was diagnosed with agoraphobia. I was severely depressed. I am currently taking 20mg of Celexa once a day . I’m no longer housebound. But from time to time I get depressed out of nowhere for no reason at all. Also, I feel extremely violent towards people I don’t even know, but I do not act on these feelings. Should I talk to my doctor and possibly see if I need different medication? I know this isn’t normal.

A.

It’s abnormal to feel as though you want to harm people. It’s good that you have not acted on these feelings, but they should be reported to your therapist and thoroughly investigated.

To answer your question directly, yes, you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms. The desire to harm others might signify that you are on an incorrect dose of medication or that you need to try a new medication. Report your symptoms immediately.

I would also recommend that you enter counseling. The fact that you are no longer homebound is a sign of your progress thus far, but you continue to experience bouts of depression. Many people find that the combination of medication and psychotherapy expedites their progress. Many people also find that one without the other just isn’t enough.

You may feel as though your depression stems from “nowhere” but typically that is not the case. A therapist could help you to identify what triggers your depression and assist you in developing the skills to effectively cope with those symptoms, when they arise. Please take care.