Home » Can’t Ask for Help

Can’t Ask for Help

I”m 14. Lately, I been feeling depressed for the past 2 months. I’ve been depressed in the past (last year around the summer) and I’ve been seeing a therapist around that time until it stopped because my mom thought I was getting better. Now, I don’t know how to ask her if I can see a therapist again. The last time she found out I was depressed is when she saw the cuts on my wrist. I don’t want to put her in that kind of stress again. I been trying to ask her but when I do I just can’t.

Can’t Ask for Help

A.

Yes you can and it’s important that you do. All you have to do is show her your letter to me.

The good news is that therapy was helpful to you. That’s wonderful. Your therapist is now an important resource for you when you feel like depression is starting to close in again. It’s okay. Sometimes people need a tuneup. Sometimes they need to go back to their therapist now and then to learn more ways to manage their feelings. You know each other. Your therapist knows enough about you to be able to offer immediate help. Often all it takes is a refresher few sessions to get back into balance.

You are smart to recognize that you may be getting into emotional trouble. I appreciate that you are trying to protect your mom from the stress of knowing you are hurting. But most moms would rather help you head off a depression than help you pull back out of something that could have been prevented. Makes sense, right?

So please confide in your mom and get back to your therapist. You need to learn more ways to manage your feelings.

Can’t Ask for Help