Home » Afraid of Expressing My Opinion

Afraid of Expressing My Opinion

I am 22 years old and have been in a relationship with a man the same age for 3 years. My partner is very passionate and knows exactly what he wants out of life. I on the other hand, have no direction in life, despite the fact that I finished college in 3 years with a high GPA. It’s not that I’m not capable of getting a great job, it’s just that I don’t know what I want to do. My real goal is to raise a beautiful family. Anyway, I am constantly afraid of standing up for myself or expressing my own opinion in fear that my partner will leave me for not agreeing with him. I envy fierce, powerful women who can say exactly what is on their mind. I want to be more open and honest with my partner, but I’m afraid to. How can I overcome this?

Afraid of Expressing My Opinion

A.

Thank you for asking this important question and, of course, speaking up for what you need. I wouldn’t approach this as some deep-seated issue; rather I would look at it as a skill. Most communities, and perhaps even your women’s center, would have an assertiveness course, which I would highly recommend for you. This is the skill that you need to learn and a brief course in this would be wonderful. There are also many books on the subject and I would go to the bookstore or library and find one that appeals to you to get started. Speaking up is a skillset that can be learned very readily.

Afraid of Expressing My Opinion