Home » Ask the Therapist » 5-Year-Old Daughter Scared of Men

5-Year-Old Daughter Scared of Men

My daughter has showed a fear of men since she was 2 years old. it has over time seem to get worse. I have never left her around men other then her dad and my dad so I know that she has never been abused. I have also asked her if a man has ever hurt her and she always says know. she will only interact with 4 men they are her dad, both her grandpas, and 1 family friend. she will not talk to other men that she has been around her whole life and sees on a regular bases. when her dads friends come over she will run up to her room and stay there till they leave. If any of them try to walk near her she freaks out and start screaming and crying like she is in total fear. she will not even talk to her pediatrician because he is a male. although she had no problem going trick or treating. I’m just really confused as to if this is a psychological issue that I need to be concerned with or if its just a stage she will out grow.

5-Year-Old Daughter Scared of Men

A.

It is hard to know what the cause might be, but I think it is important to find a way to help her cope with it. Probably the best person to work with your daughter is a play therapist. You can use the find help tab at the top of the page to look for someone in your area with that specialty. This needs to be a person who is trained in play therapy or the therapist specializing in children.

It may be a natural reaction to a man’s lower voice, or something more complex, but in either case therapists with these specialties should help.

5-Year-Old Daughter Scared of Men