I am having some problems with my college classes, and I am wondering if going to counseling would help. If so, what type of counselor should I contact? Lately I have been procrastinating much more than usual. Also, when I am taking tests that I have studied a lot for, I find myself doubting almost all of my answers. I have had trouble with procrastination, self-doubt, and a low level of confidence, but they have never been this bad. I am worried that my experiences this past semester are connected to my negative (educational) experiences before starting college. I had an undiagnosed condition that affected my performance, but is no longer an issue. I am afraid that these same problems will occur again next semester, and I would like to prevent that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

A: Absolutely counseling can help. It’s not at all uncommon for someone who has had negative experiences due to an undiagnosed or undertreated learning disability to be anxious about performance in school. The anxiety then leads to procrastination and poor performance which only reinforces the anxiety. And around and around it goes.

Most colleges have a behavioral health department. Counselors who work at schools are very familiar with this problem and are prepared to be helpful. Please do yourself the favor of taking advantage of whatever services are available. College can be an important and exciting growing experience – as well as the gateway to career goals. You don’t want to miss out on it because of self-doubt and fears that can be addressed.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie