Home » Ask the Therapist » What Kind of Help Do I Need?

What Kind of Help Do I Need?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression about 2 years ago due to a stressful and unhealthy relationship and living environment. Within the next two years I’ve been on and off medication to treat it. I’ve done wreckless and crazy things like sneaking out, having sex, smoking marijuana, disobeying all sorts of stuff. This past year I went through a really hard relationship that caused insecurities, doubt, and depression. Just last month, at my job as a lifeguard I had to make a traumatic save and was later sent home because of shock. That same month, the guy that I had been with for a year really hurt me and is now with another female. I don’t know what kind of help I need. I’ve had two anxiety attacks in the past 2 weeks, I get angry and annoyed over pointless things and I always feel the need to be in charge or perfect. Please help me control this. I’m tired of crying about pointless things and never knowing what to do. I’m getting emotional and unstable right now as we speak. Please help. I’m willing to do anything.

What Kind of Help Do I Need?

Answered by on -


You have been prescribed medication for your anxiety and depression but the missing element of your treatment may be counseling. Medication can assist in restoring emotional stability but comprehensive mental health treatment typically requires both medication and counseling. Many people find that one without the other just isn’t enough.

Counseling can assist you in dealing with the issues that you are facing. Many of your emotional reactions make sense given the experiences that you have endured. Your anxiety attacks may stem from these recent traumatic experiences.

A therapist can teach you how to deal with anxiety in a healthy way. Problems are part of life. Expect them and learn how to deal with them. Counseling would be the perfect opportunity for you to learn these important and necessary problem-solving skills.

In the meantime, it would be helpful for you to document your symptoms. Keep a journal. The more information a therapist has about your symptoms, the easier it will be to help you. I hope you consider counseling. I think you will be glad you did. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

What Kind of Help Do I Need?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). What Kind of Help Do I Need?. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 28, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 27 Jan 2014)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.