Home » Disorders » Sleep » Sleepless & On Edge – Just Insomnia?

Sleepless & On Edge – Just Insomnia?

I started being angry with my husband for stupid reasons and very distracted at work. Then, I started not sleeping – for last 2 weeks not more than 1-2 h- I just suddenly stopped sleeping. I have been feeling constantly on edge and have been having moments where I feel as if I smoked pot (but haven’t in years). Sleeping pills are not working well. What is going on?

Sleepless & On Edge – Just Insomnia?

A.

It’s unclear what is causing the insomnia. It’s impossible to make that determination based solely on a short correspondence.

The sleep deprivation is clearly affecting your mood. When we don’t sleep, then we don’t feel well. Many people say that when they don’t sleep they feel like a different person. Sleep deprivation can lead to moodiness, irritability, depression and may also be causing your feeling of being high. It can also lead to cognitive impairment, impaired attention, decreased alertness, inability to concentrate, problems with reasoning, memory loss and an overall inability to make sound judgments.

Sleep deprivation is a significant problem that requires consulting with a physician. He or she will gather information about the problem and determine the proper intervention. The doctor may also recommend having a sleep study or suggest that you see a mental health professional.

It’s important to consult a professional so that he or she can determine if the problem is medical or psychological or perhaps both. You recognize that you have a problem and nothing that you have done thus far has helped. It’s now time for professional intervention. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Sleepless & On Edge – Just Insomnia?