Home » Should I Go Back to Therapy?

Should I Go Back to Therapy?

When I was younger I was diagnosed with a Major Depressive Disorder and PTSD. Over the years it has changed and I feel like I’m on a constant rollercoaster. Though I am happy with my life and on an anti-depressant it does not stop me from being manic (racing thoughts, always feel super energetic, multitasking, insomnia). Should I consider going back to therapy? It’s been on my mind lately that I have other things going on with me and that maybe I was misdiagnosed at the time. If I don’t go to therapy is there a way to get a correct diagnosis so I don’t feel so off?

Should I Go Back to Therapy?

A.

Overtime, symptoms change. It’s possible that you no longer have the same mental health disorders or have developed a new set of symptoms. Your current symptoms are not necessarily consistent with either of your previous diagnoses.

It’s also possible that your medication has stopped working. That is not uncommon. Many people require medication changes every several years, sometimes sooner.

You did not say what type of doctor is prescribing your current medication regimen, but if it’s a primary care physician, then you should switch to a psychiatrist. Medications for psychiatric problems require a specialist. A medication change could positively improve your symptoms.

Yes, you should also return to therapy. The combination of psychiatric medication and psychotherapy is generally considered the most comprehensive form of mental health treatment. It would be wise and efficient to do both. Therapy could assist you in learning relaxation techniques which may help to reduce your mania symptoms and insomnia. Therapy is also good for learning the necessary coping skills to maintain emotional health and stability.

Establishing a “correct diagnosis” requires that you undergo a mental health evaluation. Psychiatrists and psychotherapists both provide mental health evaluations but each may arrive at a diagnosis by asking a different set of questions. It would be advantageous to contact several mental health professionals to inquire about their evaluation processes. Choose the one with whom you feel the most comfortable. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Should I Go Back to Therapy?