I had severe depression six months ago that culminated with my hospitalization after a suicide attempt. After I was released, I enrolled in a partial program where my parents live, so I could use them as a support system. A month later, after completion of the program with great results, I returned to school. Since the program was not in the same state as my school, they could not connect me with follow up care. I have attempted to find someone to treat me, but I sit down in the office and mention my suicide attempt and all I hear is “I don’t think I’m enough support for you.” Initially, this didn’t matter, I had a few refills of my antidepressant and the partial program aided me greatly. However, I have been experiencing depression symptoms again. My school does not offer behavioral health resources and I am afraid I won’t be able to find someone to treat me because of my history.

A. Congratulations on your success thus far. You’ve come a long way and you should be proud of your progress.

Is it possible to return to the partial program to utilize their services or to inquire about a referral? They most likely have therapists to whom they commonly refer their patients. This would likely require you to change schools. Perhaps one of those referrals will be a good match for you. You might also want to ask a friend or an acquaintance if they know of any therapists whom they would recommend.

Other options include asking your primary care physician for a referral. Your local health department might be of assistance. Other people find therapists by calling their insurance company and asking them to provide a referral.

You might also try clicking on the “find help” tab at the top of this page. There are many other online resources that can assist you in finding a therapist.

You did not say how many mental health professionals you’ve tried thus far. Don’t give up hope. Keep trying as many as needed until you find one you like. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle