Home » Ask the Therapist » Want it to be Better

Want it to be Better

Asked by on with 1 answer:

so straight to the point i guess. I’m a 19 year old girl and i have issues. I have never been diagnosed with anything but I’ve dealt with depression for a long period of time including self injury and thought/attempts of suicide. I have anxiety issues and commitment issues. I knew all this before finding your website. I took a few of your tests for more information. My sanity score ended up 130 with 7 pressing disorder/issues. I have seen school counselors in the past and honestly that didn’t go to well. I am at a point in my life where i want to get over this and try and live, but i know i can’t do it alone.

So my question to you today, is what steps should i be taking in order to be looking at recovery? What are my best options in generally and how do i go about it?

Thank you for your help!

-A girl that wants it to be better…

Want it to be Better

Answered by on -


I’m sorry your teen years have been so shadowed by pain. It’s to your credit that you tried to get help. It’s really sad that the help wasn’t helpful.

Your school counselors may not have had the training and experience to deal with what you talked about. I mean no disrespect to school counselors. They often have case loads in the hundreds and very challenging jobs. The school counselors I know often talk about how much they wish they had more time to go into depth with students who seek them out. Instead, they find themselves burdened by standardized testing, course scheduling and college admissions procedures. All of those things are valuable and important too but they do get in the way of actually providing in-depth counseling.

You asked what to do. I think the first step is to look for a private therapist. If you still have a good relationship with a school counselor, you could ask for advice about who to call. You could also ask your doctor for a list of names of counselors who have expertise in helping young adults

While you wait to get an appointment, you can also take advantage of the Boys and Girls Town Hotline. Counselors are there 24/7 to listen to young men and women who are struggling. A sympathetic ear and some advice may help you figure out what else you need to do. Their phone number is 800-448-3000.

The most promising part of your letter is that you really want help. You are taking charge of your life and looking for a way to change. The good news is that you can. With help, people can change the way they think and feel. I’m proud of you for making a commitment to yourself to start the process.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

Want it to be Better

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). Want it to be Better. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 1, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 19 Nov 2013)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.