Home » Depression » Severe Mood Swings

Severe Mood Swings

Asked by on with 1 answer:

When I was 20 I attempted suicide while intoxicated, was admitted into a 30 day inpatient treatment center was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I was on medication for a couple months and then conceived my daughter. I stopped taking all medications and have not continued them since. At the age of 25 I approached my ob/gyn about mood swings and lack of sexual drive and she prescribed me Zoloft for post partum because my youngest daughter was about 8 months old. Over the years I have always been up and down on my moods but over the last year it has gotten to what I consider severe. One moment I am in a good/happy mood and then the next I am completely angered and in the worse moods ever. I take it out on my husband and my 3 daughters. Screaming and yelling. I sit back and think to myself that I am being ridiculous but yet I continue. This is every day on a minute to minute base. Not a week or 2 thing. This is constant. My sex drive is gone. I have no energy. Very down on myself. I am not sure what to do about it all anymore. I have no insurance so I have no went back to a psychiatrist or mental health counselor. Please help.

Severe Mood Swings

Answered by on -


Even without health insurance, you can still seek mental health treatment. Individuals without health insurance are often eligible for services at their local Community Mental Health Center (CMHC). After an initial psychological evaluation, a therapist or caseworker can assist you in acquiring government health insurance. They typically assist clients with filing the necessary paperwork. Depending on your family size and income, you may be eligible for Medicaid. There may be other local community programs and resources of which you are unaware.

You can also call the local health department and ask if there are services in your community for individuals who do not have health insurance. They can direct you to those services.

As a last resort, sometimes people enroll in psychological studies that are being conducted at local universities. Many universities conduct research concerning psychiatric treatments and medications and need participants. Being part of a research study can assist someone in acquiring treatment when they otherwise may not. There is no charge for being in a research study and in fact most research study participants are compensated for their time.

I think you have correctly identified the fact that you need help. Your moods are unstable and treatment could help you immensely. You have a history of having bipolar disorder and it’s possible that you are experiencing mood swings associated with an untreated disorder. I hope you’re able to receive the help that you desire. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle
Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog

Severe Mood Swings

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Severe Mood Swings. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 3, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 20 Oct 2013)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.