Home » I May Have BPD

I May Have BPD

I’m 15 and I’ve been concerned about my mental health for a while now. I feel as though I may have BPD and I want to be properly evaluated by a professional but I’m not sure how to bring up the issue to my parents. They don’t seem to take me seriously (which hurts) and I fear that they won’t understand. I’m not very close with either of my parents and I’m unsure of what to do. I’m tired of feeling like this but I’m worried that if I ask and they don’t take it seriously, it will cause an even bigger rift between us. I’m also not comfortable with going to my school’s counselors. Please help.

I May Have BPD

A.

Most 15-year-olds have some of the symptoms of BPD. This is a tumultuous time of life and the usual ups and downs of the teen years can mimic the emotional symptoms of BPD. But just because you are a teen doesn’t mean you can’t have BPD. If you think your feelings and behavior are significantly different from your friends’, you are right to want an evaluation by a competent professional.

If you can’t talk to your parents, can you make an appointment with your doctor for a checkup? Often a primary care physician is able to make a preliminary evaluation. If she isn’t sure, she’ll make a referral to a mental health professional. That would give you the support of your doctor so your parents might take you more seriously.

In the meantime, do make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating right and getting enough exercise. Sometimes what looks like BPD is due to not taking adequate care of the body as well as the mind. Also work on your emotional distress by training yourself in some calming techniques and by meditating every day.

I May Have BPD