Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » My Friend Thinks I’m Bipolar

My Friend Thinks I’m Bipolar

I have been severely depressed for a while now. I am trying to get help through a local mental health clinic. Their initial diagnosis was major depression and anxiety. I am waiting to see a therapists and psychiatrist. A friend of mine that I have known for over 20 years told me that she thinks that I am bipolar. How do I know if that’s true? And if it is why wasn’t I diagnosed as bipolar? I have had times where I was extremely hyper. It’s been awhile because of my other health issues have me very depressed. I have severe asthma, vocal cord dysfunction, fibromyalgia, seizure disorder, and a back injury. I have recently been put on a medical leave.

My Friend Thinks I’m Bipolar

A.

I can imagine it is very difficult for you to be coping with all the symptoms. Your friend has known you for a much longer time than the people who saw you for an intake and may be seeing patterns that have not emerged in the therapeutic session. The initial diagnosis allows professionals to learn more about you. When you do see the psychiatrist and therapist let them know what your friend has said, and more important, why.

My Friend Thinks I’m Bipolar