Hello my daughter is 7 yrs old and me and her father are about to get divorced, the problem is that he will be seeking 50/50 custody and she does not want to sleep anywhere but her bed and her room as she states… I spoke to her father about the matter but he is dead set on this, personally I believe it to pay less child support as he already has another child which he pays child support for, he makes fairly good money and has no choice but to ask for joint custody to alleviate the cost.

If I take my daughter to a Child Psychologists for an evaluation, would he be able to write a recommendation as to what’s in the best interest of the child based on the evaluation he does with her?

A: A psychological evaluation for custody is very typical process, and it sounds like it may be a very good idea in your case. Psychologists who do these types of evaluations are usually highly trained, proficient at writing reports for the court, and offer an unbiased opinion. I think your instinct to get this type of an evaluation is a good one.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral