Home » Disorders » Depression » Depression & First Year of College

Depression & First Year of College

This is my first year in college i didn’t like it i found it very boring and i don’t know what to do know or how to tell to my parents about it i had a depression last year i’ve seen a therapist for 6 months but when i graduate from high school i felt okey and i stoped the treatment but this year everything went wrong and i didn’t do well in college i need your help.

Depression & First Year of College

A.

For many people, the first year of college is especially difficult. Difficulty arises for many reasons but often it’s because of unrealistic expectations about college. There is often an incongruence between what they thought college was “supposed” be like and what college is actually like. Preconceived notions about “the college experience” often lead to disappointment.

College is a major change from high school, especially when an individual moves away from their home and family. Many people feel homesick, lonely, inadequate about their ability to perform adequately in the academic setting, and depressed. They may not adjust well to the new experience. These experiences are common and fortunately, can be overcome.

Maybe you’re not adjusting well because you had the wrong expectations about college. Perhaps you chose the wrong college, the wrong major, and so forth. Before making any important decisions about college, first meet with a mental health professional at the college counseling center. College counseling center services are free and confidential. A therapist could assist you in deciding how to proceed.

I would also recommend meeting with academic specialists on campus. Most universities have exceptionally well-developed services for students experiencing difficulty with their studies. Utilize the services that are available to you on campus.

Finally, I would also encourage you to inform your parents about how you feel. It is important that they know so that they can support and assist you. The more support you have the better you will feel. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog

Depression & First Year of College