Home » Ask the Therapist » Scared of Myself

Scared of Myself

For about two years I have sort of thought that people can hear the thoughts in my head and recently I also feel like God, Jesus, demons and the devil talk to me in my head and I talk with them. I have started to feel more important than everyone else, I have started to think some people don’t deserve to be on the same planet as me. All my life when I have watched shows about killers I hated them and wanted to torture and kill them but I feel like I am different and I should be able to kill because I know wrong from right better than everyone else really, I would kill people who deserve to die and go to hell. I also have opposite thoughts, I obsessed with and sexually attracted to Jeffry Dahmer, I have repeated dreams about being back in time and changing his sexuality to like women and killing with him even though I know it is all wrong and strange. I am starting to become scared of myself. Do I need help?

Scared of Myself

A.

Much of what you are feeling is abnormal. It’s especially concerning that you hear voices. You also described feeling “more important than anyone else.” From a clinical perspective, you may be experiencing grandiosity which occurs when an individual has an exaggerated belief about their abilities. Both hearing voices and experiencing grandiosity are signs of a possible psychotic disorder.

Your beliefs that you “should be able to kill” and that you would “kill people who deserve to die an go to hell” is also concerning. It’s also abnormal to obsess and to be sexually attracted to Jeffrey Dahmer. Jeffrey Dahmer was a cannibal who murdered people. He destroyed the lives of many families. There’s nothing romantic or intriguing about him. In the view of the majority, he is an immoral individual who deserved to be incarcerated for the rest of his life.

Yes, it would be in your best interest to seek help. You stated that you’re “scared of yourself” which means that you may be losing your ability to control your behavior. See a mental health professional immediately. If you feel you cannot control your behavior and that you are at risk of harming someone, it is imperative that you go to the hospital or call 911. Don’t ignore this problem. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice

Scared of Myself