Home » Depression » Am I Depressed?

Am I Depressed?

I have been having trouble sleeping and occasionally suffer from nightmares. I always feel as though I am worthless and feel like I am guilty and should be punished. I often feel unloved or uncared although I am sure I am. I feel like I am an inconvenience to everyone and that I am worthless. I think that I am ugly and am a bad person. I have thought about suicide but I have not taken any action and don’t think I ever will. I have cut myself because of my self-hatred but I have stopped but will still occasionally cause myself intentional pain, but nothing serious.

Am I Depressed?

A.

I deeply appreciate the fact that you are writing us to ask about your symptoms. While these are classic symptoms of depression, it may also be that you have other symptoms that you haven’t written about. The best thing to do, since you are still in high school, is to talk to your guidance counselor about how you are feeling and what might be done about it. This is an important step to take. Your writing here was the first one. Now talk to your counselor to make the changes you need in your life.

Am I Depressed?