Home » Depression » Lonely and Lack Friends

Lonely and Lack Friends

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I usually cry myself to sleep at night. I come from a divorced family. I get bullied quite a bit for being fat. People just don’t like me. All I do is sit and play on the computer most of the day. All I want is someone that I can talk to that isn’t my mom. This is probably a stupid question but what do I do?

Lonely and Lack Friends

Answered by on -


Your question is not at all “stupid.” You noticed that something might be wrong and you’re asking for help. That’s exactly how these potential issues should be handled. I’m glad you asked.

There are a couple things that you can do. The first is to try to involve yourself with clubs or activities at school. This will ensure that you will spend less time in front of your computer. It will also help you to become active and spend less time alone. Simply being in the presence of others can improve your mood.

You should also speak to your parents about how you’re feeling. They need to know that something might be wrong. If they knew, they would likely attempt to intervene. Perhaps they would be willing to take you to a psychotherapist.

Depending on your age, you might be able to find a part-time job. At the very least, a job would mean spending less time in front of your computer.

Finally, if you feel that you cannot tell your parents about what’s bothering you, then you should speak to the school guidance counselor. Report that you may be depressed and that you are being bullied. Bullying is not tolerated in most school settings. You need to inform the school administrators so they can deal with this problem.

The fact that you identified a potential problem and have asked for help is very encouraging. It shows that you want to feel better. The next step is putting into action some of the suggestions above so that you can solve this problem. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle
Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog

Lonely and Lack Friends

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Lonely and Lack Friends. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 22, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.