Home » Disorders » Depression » Depression After Therapy Session

Depression After Therapy Session

Since three years I found myself not able to be sociable at all , it’s my second year in college and I couldn’t make friends so I don’t go to my collage I decided from one month to go to counselor but after every session I feel depressed crying all the time thinking in suicide , in the session I feel I can’t say what inside me , can’t make eye contact laughing all the session . I don’t know if this feelings is normal because I began to face my problems or his treatment is wrong ?

Depression After Therapy Session

A.

For some people, it is difficult to “open up” to a therapist. It may take time before you feel fully comfortable expressing your feelings. Sometimes people laugh when they are nervous; that is a relatively normal reaction. One potential solution is to write about how you feel before a therapy session and give the letter to your therapist. That might be a preferable form of communication for the time being. In the letter, it’s important to express your concerns about how you feel after your therapy sessions. It is especially important to detail your contemplation of suicide.

Alternatively, you may want to consider choosing a new therapist. It’s unclear why you have difficulty “opening up” but perhaps a different therapist would make a difference. Because of limited information it’s difficult to give you a direct answer with regard to whether you should try a new therapist. Generally speaking, after every therapy session, you should feel a little better. In the beginning, you may leave the sessions with a better understanding of the scope and true nature of the problem. You might find this unsettling but you should be gaining trust and confidence in your therapist. Perhaps try a few more sessions where you give your written feelings and thoughts to your therapist. If there are no improvements, then consider a new therapist.

I’m very encouraged by the fact that you are willing to seek treatment. If you feel that you might harm yourself, go to the emergency room immediately. Do what is necessary to receive the proper help. Take care.

Depression After Therapy Session