Home » Disorders » OCD » Orthodontic Obsession?

Orthodontic Obsession?

I need help. I wake up in the morning and go to bed thinking about my “overjet.” It is something that I didn’t know much about until a few months ago. I have done a ton of research about it which, I suppose, contributes to the constant thoughts about it.I have always hated my teeth but I just recently became obsessed with fixing them. I barely think of anything else. I feel so disgusting and I feel like I will never be happy because of this. I don’t date and I believe that NO ONE will ever ask me out because I can hardly look at MYSELF. Please help me. I feel like this is running my life and I realize how psychotic I sound but this gets in the way of everything else in my life. Also everyone in my life makes me feel like I am shallow for wanting to feel pretty like everyone else.

Orthodontic Obsession?

A.

Being concerned about protrusion of your teeth is a common orthodontic problem that people seek remediation for. In that way your concerns are very normal and understandable. You are not shallow for wanting to look good.

The part I would focus on is your belief system that because of this you will never be happy. One of the best books on the subject is by The Resilience Factor by Karen Reivich and Andrew Shatte. This will help you challenge your thinking and not feel so obsessed.

Orthodontic Obsession?