Home » Depression » Teen Depression

Teen Depression

I am 14 and have severe depression. I know for a fact i need mental help. But i cant tell my parents about it.. and im too scared to talk to the school councilor about anything because she will just call my parents… I have major family issues and i dont know how to handle them. I started cutting on monday to relive stress I honestly dont know what else to do.. Im in major physical pain ALL the time, my back hurts so much some times I cant move. My arms and shoulders ache all the time I just want to cry im in so much pain. I get migraines almost everyday and always have a feeling of throwing up even tho I never do. My depression is getting so bad my grades are dropping and im getting in trouble with my parents but they dont know the reason my grades are droping is because i cant consintrate in class anymore im too depressed to even try in school now. I take an animation class and drawing used to help with my depression but its gotten so bad i cant pick up my pencil to draw, im not motivated anymore.. I want to cry ALL the time i broke down in school yesterday and just started crying… I need help I dont know what to do!!!!

Teen Depression

A.

You stated that you can’t tell your parents but I would ask you to reconsider. Many teenagers feel that they can’t speak to their parents when in reality they simply haven’t tried.

I would strongly urge you to tell your parents how you’re feeling. It is a major concern that you are cutting, experiencing severe depression, experiencing physical pain, and possibly failing your coursework. Those are all matters that should be brought to the attention of your parents. It is simply a matter of time before your parents find out about these issues. Thus it’s better that they know sooner rather than later.

If telling your parents is not an option, then try the school counselor. I understand that you are frightened to speak to the school counselor but you shouldn’t be. It is their job is to assist with students’ problems.

One final option is to write a letter to your parents or to the school counselor. Some people feel more comfortable expressing themselves in writing rather than face-to-face contact.

Please understand that it is vitally important that you ask for help. You cannot be helped if those around you are not aware of your suffering. Speak to your parents, the school counselor or with someone you trust. Many teenagers feel the same way you do but later realize that asking for help was much easier than they had expected. Please take care.

Teen Depression