Home » Constantly Irritable

Constantly Irritable

I have been married for 6 years and have a 6year old and a 2 year old. Ever since I had my last child, I have mood swings throughout the day. Ex: him not buying something i asked him to buy I get very angry. Then 1 hour later I feel very silly and sometimes it is even hard for me to remember why I am mad. I now have very little patience and go from 0 to 10 in a split of a second. Sometimes, specially if I get mad at my 6 year, afterwards I feel horrible and hate myself. I have never hit him, but will scold him for being so messy…Please help. My husband says i get angry too much….Am i bipolar?

Constantly Irritable

A.

I doubt you are bipolar. What is significant to me is that this started after the birth of your 2-year-old. It’s possible that you are suffering from postpartum depression. Many people believe that postpartum depression only lasts for a few weeks or months. But in some women, the symptoms go on for a couple of years, especially if untreated.

Please talk to your OB/GYYN and perhaps to a mental health professional to get a proper diagnosis and some treatment. Hating yourself won’t improve the situation. Getting some treatment will. You – and your whole family – are missing out on the sweet times of early childhood. I’m glad you wrote. Now please take the next step and make an appointment with your doctor.

Constantly Irritable