Home » Depression » Physical Illness and Depression

Physical Illness and Depression

I’ve been dealing with problems for the past year now so much its been tearing me down. I have the constant feeling like Im a burrden to wveryone. Im annoying and I should be alone forever. I have epilepsy and it makes it so I cant be alone ever. My parents have seen it for about 5 months and it stressed them out so bad that they cant stand to be around me they made me feel so alone and hated. My friends and family make fun of me for it. I moved out with my girlfriend her parents absoultly love me. They care for me so much. But I find Im still sad all the time I cant seem to.find happieness I feel like a burrden all the time and I wanna go be alone. I dont know what too do anymore…

Physical Illness and Depression

A.

With regard to your epilepsy, you state that your parents “can’t stand to be around you.” It is that reaction that likely makes you feel as though you are a burden. If you are correctly interpreting their reaction, it’s understandable why you feel the way you do.

It would seem as though your girlfriend’s parents are much more kind to you than your parents or at least that is the way you perceive it. You must remember that it is possible to misjudge the feelings of others. Perhaps your parents are very concerned about your health and thus are acting differently toward you. Their feelings may be interpreted in different ways and perhaps you are misjudging what they really feel toward you.

It may be that your parents simply do not know how to deal with your condition. There are likely frustrated with their inability in knowing how to handle the condition and not with you personally.

I would recommend family therapy in this situation. If that is not an option, then you should consider individual therapy. In the case of family therapy, a therapist could assist your family to better deal with the difficulties associated with caring for a loved one with epilepsy. In the case of individual therapy, a therapist could assist you with dealing with your family’s reaction and how to live a better, happier life.

People with epilepsy live good, productive, happy lives. You may simply need time to adjust to your condition and for the medications to become fully effective. By all means, take advantage of the help available to you in counseling. I would highly recommend that you begin counseling.

I wish you the best of luck.

Physical Illness and Depression