Home » What’s Wrong With Me?

What’s Wrong With Me?

I have this imaginary family that I talk to I don’t see them or hear them I just talk to the air anyways I talk to them alot and I really don’t like my family that much. I’m 19 years old and I’m alone for most of the time that’s when I talk to them and I’m a four year old with a imaginary mom and dad and aunts and uncles. Is this normal?

What’s Wrong With Me?

A.

I would need much more information about your situation to determine its normalcy. Generally speaking, it is abnormal to have imaginary friends and family as a young adult. Children commonly have imaginary friends and that is relatively normal but you are not a child.

An interesting aspect of your question is that when you are engaging this imaginary world, you do so as a 4-year-old. Sometimes people will develop an imaginary world when they are experiencing significant distress. It may be a way to escape their unhappiness. In that way, the imaginary world is utilized as a form of coping.

I would recommend being evaluated by a mental health professional. A mental health professional can gather many more details about your situation and determine whether this problem requires treatment. Please take care.

What’s Wrong With Me?