Home » Disorders » Depression » Depression Causes Me to Withdraw from Daily Life

Depression Causes Me to Withdraw from Daily Life

I was diagnosed with depression about a year ago because I started getting suicidal and was taken to the doctor. But before that, for about 2 years I had completely given up on life. I was jobless, dropped out of college because I was really anxious about being around people, rarely left the house, clinging to my laptop all day. My closest friends, the only support I had besides my family, had turned really cruel as well. My best friend became condescending and judgmental, the rest had become fake and conniving. I couldn’t face it anymore. Now I’m 20, I’ve lost all my friends, I am all alone and have no idea how to go out and deal with reality all over again. Can I have some advice?

A.

Friends and family can be great sources of support but they are not trained to deal with mental health problems. They can love and support you but they are not trained to deal with psychological issues. Your friends may have “turned on you” because they were frustrated with their inability to help you. Your friends may have wanted to help you but felt as though they couldn’t and thus began to withdraw from you.

I would recommend that you seek professional help. Depression is serious. It requires treatment. Your symptoms should not be ignored especially because, at one point, you were considering suicide. You’ve attempted to help yourself and though you have done an adequate job, it seems as though the depression has returned. Mental health professionals are specifically trained to deal with these exact problems. They receive years of training to treat mental health problems. Utilize their education and wisdom to assist you in curing your depression.

It is important to understand that effective treatments exist for depression. Millions of people receive treatment for depression and their lives have significantly improved. Your life can similarly improve and that process can be expedited with professional help. The “find help” tab, located at the top of this page can help you locate a therapist in your community. I hope you will consider it. Please take care.