Home » Ask the Therapist » Financial Problems & Don’t Know What To Do

Financial Problems & Don’t Know What To Do

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Don’t know what to do. Hello my name is Andrew, I am actually asking these things for both me and my grandma. She is 72 and i am 20 years old living with her. It seems every month we find it harder and harder to get by. She only makes money via social security, and after bills are payed we have 75-50 dollars left to spend on groceries for that month. She suffers from terrible migraines every day due to stress and the stress is constant. And i do the best i can to support her but now i myself in almost completely broke and i can’t get a job so i can help her anymore. Now I’m starting to get depressed. And overall i think the biggest stress in her life is not being able to afford a plane ticket to go see her uncle one last time before he passes away. I am desperately seeking a job but no one will higher me because i have no work experience. We just need something to help us but can’t find the answer. Thank you for your time and your help.

Financial Problems & Don’t Know What To Do

Answered by on -


Hello Andrew. I am very sorry that you and your grandmother are having financial problems. My recommendation is to search for outside help. One idea is to call your local community mental health center and inquire about a case manager. Case managers work with individuals who are in situations similar to yours. The case manager can assist both you and your grandmother. A primary function of case managers is connecting their clients with the appropriate social programs and assisting them in receiving those services.

It is concerning that your grandmother is experiencing severe headaches. Her headaches should be evaluated by a physician. If she has Social Security, then she may also have Medicare which should cover a visit to her doctor. To know what services your grandmother is eligible for, you could contact her primary care physician’s office, the Social Security office or Medicare. A customer service representative should be able to answer your questions.

You may also find it beneficial to call the local health department. A representative from the health department may be able to connect you to community resources that you are unaware of.

The general idea is to see what local community resources you and your grandmother may be eligible for. It is not an easy task but making these inquiries is a worthwhile effort. I hope that you are able to find the proper assistance. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Financial Problems & Don’t Know What To Do

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Financial Problems & Don’t Know What To Do. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 30, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 26 May 2012)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.