Home » Career Indecision is Mounting

Career Indecision is Mounting

I am 26 years old have graduated from law school received my bachelor’s in mathematics and psychology and am current back in school taking medical school prerequisites, however, i have NO clue what i want to do with my life. Every time i enter a path(such as when i started law school) i immediately regret my decision and start searching for something else. I find myself now beginning to feel stress because i am 26 with a 2 year old daughter and mounting debt BUT no clue what i want to do. I would love to pick a career/grad school and go after it, but i have NO CLUE what i want to do. I don’t know what help i am seeking but i do know i need some help.

Career Indecision is Mounting

A.

At this point, you have a child and responsibilities so I’m glad you wrote. Life is moving forward even if you’re not. It’s time to figure this out.

Sometimes being real smart has its drawbacks. The fact is, you could probably do anything you put your mind to. You are therefore confronted by over-choice. If you were only good a one thing, life would be easier, huh.

But I think there is more to this than that. Unfortunately, I can only make some very general guesses since I don’t know much about your story. Often this kind of indecision speaks to a kind of perfectionism. By never making up your mind, you avoid putting yourself on the line. You can’t be judged. Another possibility is that there is family pressure that you haven’t figured out how to handle. Still another possibility is that you are so worried about doing the wrong thing, you don’t commit to anything at all.

I don’t know if any of those guesses apply to you. I do suggest that you start talking with a counselor and get to the bottom of the issue. Better to pay a therapist for some sessions than to take on the debt of yet another semester that may or may not be relevant to future goals.

By the way: One of my professors used to tell me that he was much like you when he was young. He couldn’t make up his mind and tried many professions. A wise therapist saw that he is the kind of person who is endlessly curious about the various choices people make and suggested that he put his exploration of multiple careers to good use. He became a brilliant career counselor.

Career Indecision is Mounting