I have been addicted to masturbation since I was in middle school, I am now almost 27. I just recently got over this addiction, but now I have another problem. Whenever I am with my new girlfriend, I get erections. When I have these erections, seminal fluid continually leaks out. This causes me to get sexually exhausted, and by the time she is ready for sex, I am unable to get an erection. I feel my addiction to masturbation has caused this problem. This has happened a few times, and when it happened tonight I went home alone and cried like a little kid. This problem is killing me, and I have nowhere else to turn to help me with this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A. This is a problem that could be addressed with the assistance of a sex therapist. Many of the problems that sex therapists encounter are similar to yours. Some studies have shown that in general, 31 percent of percent of men experience erectile dysfunction (ED). That number rises to over 50 percent for men over the age of 40, making ED a relatively common problem.

A thorough evaluation by a sex therapist will include gathering detailed psychosocial and sexual function history. Some people are uncomfortable answering personal questions of a sexual nature but the more information provided, the better the therapist can assist you.

Assessment of the problem should also include having a medical evaluation and other diagnostic testing. Medical and diagnostic testing are important to rule out an organic cause. Such tests can be performed by your primary care physician or a urologist.

The understanding of ED has evolved. Many of the treatments available are safe, effective and can restore the quality of life for men experiencing sexual problems. The consultation of both mental health and medical professionals can greatly assist you in resolving this problem. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle