Home » Personality » My Personality Is Gone

My Personality Is Gone

I am in despair right now. My name is Shane and im 17 and it feels like my personality is gone. I am depressed, and anxious right now. In groups and friends now, I am extremely akward and silent, barley saying anything at all. It feels like im treading over old ground because ive had this problem before, I went to therapy,got help, and then once I felt like the depression was gone and I didnt need therapy anymore, I dropped it. I think I may have a co dependent relationship with my brother too because we seperated each other for 3 months and then started hanging out again, it made me feel so happy to show him how much I changed and it felt like I was actually living. But 4 weeks ago, something happened and changed and now I feel the same as I did all those months ago, do i need to spend time away from my brother or do I have another problem all together?

My Personality Is Gone

A.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to respond to your question. I think you have significant pieces of the puzzle. As you noted you are depressed and anxious and this colors your perception of everything, including your sense of your personality. When this happened in the past you went to therapy and you felt better. Wanting to share this with your brother is natural. I wouldn’t focus on that right at the moment. For right now I would get into therapy again and start feeling better.

Talk to your high school counselor for starters, and then join one of our self-help forums. If you need a therapist in your area, the find help tab at the top of the page will locate one in your area.

My Personality Is Gone