Home » What is therapy like?

What is therapy like?

What is therapy like?

I am currently dealing with anxiety and depression. I have an appointment for counseling. There are so many types of therapy, I don’t know which is best for my situation. I am also being treated with wellbutrin and ativan. So where should I turn? Counseling, psychiatrist, psychologist, behavioral therapist?

What is therapy like?

A.

These are very good questions and I am very glad you are thinking about what the best approaches are to get help.

A professional therapist usually has a degree in psychology, social work or counseling. He or she is trained in a variety of therapies. Psychiatrists are primarily approaching the problem from a medical and biochemical approach and may or may not do conjoint therapy with the medicine. If the psychiatrist prescribing your medicine doesn’t do individual therapy then you may want to see a psychologist who is proficient in doing evaluations. He or she may be best able to determine what the best therapy would be to make progress. Often this will involve some testing, but not always. In this fashion you will be able to get a better handle on what type of therapy you will need, and who might be the best to treat it.

What is therapy like?