Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Alcoholic parents are tearing me up

Alcoholic parents are tearing me up

I’m sixteen years old and a senior in high school. Both of my parents are alcoholics and have been ever since I can remember. They are loud and violent when they get drunk, my dad has even been to jail for domestic violence. Its so hard living here with them constantly drunk and fighting. I have two older brothers but they both have moved out. Everything I do is wrong to them and I get scolded by my mom even if I ask her a simple question. I have suffered depression in the past and am still struggling with it because of my parents. They wont even try to change at all. I don’t know what I can do anymore; all I do is cry when I am home because all they do is scream at me and fight with me constantly. I stay at my boyfriends a lot of the time now but I still come home everyday when he is at work. I am so unhappy when I am home and it makes me scared that someday I will end up like them. People in my life don’t understand when I try to talk about it. It’s driving me crazy living here and putting me in a really bad state of mind. I don’t know what I can do about how I feel. I hate getting in the middle of their fights because then they fight with me. Its really hard dealing with this and I need some advice.

Alcoholic parents are tearing me up

A.

Thank you for writing us. You don’t need to stay or continue to tolerate an abusive environment. The first thing I would do is talk to your siblings about your home life. They lived through it and might be able to offer some guidance and direction.

I would then talk to your school’s guidance counselor. You won’t be the first student they will have helped with a difficult home situation. You may also want to talk to a supportive teacher. Finally, if things get to where you need more direct and stronger help each state has a protective service for children that you can call to get support. You can find the contact information here, and additional support here.

Alcoholic parents are tearing me up