Home » Confused on what to do

Confused on what to do

Asked by on with 1 answer:

My mom suffers from severe clinical depression. She has outrages where she screams at me and forgets who she is and will throw things and sometimes try to hurt me. She is single and has a severe disability as well. She really scares me. Lately its gotten worse. I sit in my room and cry all day and cut myself, she doesnt know this. My brother is leaving for collage possibly in a year and im scared of being alone with her. Im desperate for help and want out of this situation, but not sure what to do. I know inside that its not right for me to be living with this. She is also extremely critical of me. She is non alcoholic/drug addic.

Confused on what to do

Answered by on -


I’m very, very sorry that your homelife has become so stressful. As you know, your mother can’t help it. But that doesn’t make it okay. No kid should live in fear in her own home. Your mom needs help. You need help getting her help. Cutting and crying isn’t changing anything. Getting involved in some kind of program for families like yours will.

I hope your brother can be an ally. You need someone older to help you get the services your family needs. This last year he is home is an important opportunity for making some changes. Also consider talking to your school guidance counselor. Believe me, please. You are not the only kid with this kind of problem. School counselors usually know where their students can find good help.

I did a search on the Internet and found a program in your city that might give you what you need. Auburn Youth Resources offers both individual and family counseling. You and your brother can reach them at 253-939-2202.

Meanwhile, if you feel like cutting again, or if you just need someone to talk to, please call the Boys and Girls Town Hotline, 800-448-3000. Check out these videos to learn more about them.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

Confused on what to do

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). Confused on what to do. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 18, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.