Home » Disorders » Depression » Depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder

Depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder

I believe my depression started when I got into high school, it hasn’t gone away and I finished it this year, I got diagnosed with depression and obsessive compulsive disorder last year. I have no interest in absolutely anything in life; I lock myself in room waiting for the day to pass and hoping that I wont wake up the next. My family is just, abnormal, I have a sort of relationship and I don’t know if it’s helping me or destroying me. I have memory problems, it’s hard for me to recall what I did today, or yesterday or the day before that and so on. I can’t remember anything, except a few things, about my life before I was 15 years old. And even at that it’s hard for me to remember. Please help.

A.

It sounds like this has been a genuine struggle for you over the past few years. But the very fact that you are taking the time to write and ask for help is a sign that there is a very strong part of you that wants things to change. You took the time to write and want to feel different. Even though you are depressed you found the courage and strength to open up to others. I think the best thing is to get a psychiatrist to follow up on the diagnosis and see if there may be some medicine to help with the depression and OCD. Once you have this evaluation you may want to have some individual therapy. The combination of therapy and medicine together is the most powerful way to help bring the changes you want into your life.