Home » Can Adults Have Separation Anxiety?

Can Adults Have Separation Anxiety?

I’m 18, and I’ve been slightly dealing with Separation Anxiety throughout my childhood, I’ve never been to a psychologist or therapist for it to know that it officially is the disorder, but whomever I get close to, I get upset and have a fear of being alone, if they die or if I die, or if they leave and forget all about, etc. I’ve been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about 5 months now, and I fear that my childhood Separation Anxiety has turned into Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder, because, recently, for weeks on end, every single night, as if on cue, I get overly-upset and cry, and have wandering thoughts of loneliness and death surge through my head. And, last night, I made myself sick because of it and ended up vomiting and was shaking uncontrollably, and I was dizzy and had a terrible headache. And it’s always because I miss all of my close friends and my girlfriend and have a fear that she will leave me or she will die, and leave me all alone in this world, and she will be moving soon, and I fear that I won’t know how to cope enough and will have worse anxiety attacks. Could you help, please? I’m in desperate need of some advice on this subject.

Can Adults Have Separation Anxiety?

A.

Click on the arrow below to hear my response…

[powerpress]

Here are a few additional anxiety resources on Psych Central:

Find a Therapist Here
Information on Psychotherapy for Anxiety Disorders
Psych Central Community Forum for Anxiety, Panic, & Phobia

Take good care of yourself!

Julie Hanks, LCSW

Can Adults Have Separation Anxiety?

Julie Hanks, LCSW

Julie Hanks, LCSW has over 20 years in the mental health field providing outpatient psychotherapy services to children, adolescents, adults, couples and multi-problem families with complex mental health and relationship problems. Find out more at WasatchFamilyTherapy.com. Follow Julie on Twitter & Facebook. Visit Julie's new blog for therapists Private Practice Toolbox