Home » Depression » I Think I’m Depressed

I Think I’m Depressed

First off, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read this. I can’t express enough how much this means to me to have someone listen to my problems. I apologize for how long this is. I am 16 years old and I think I have been depressed since I was 5. When my parents got divorced and my brother sexually abused me. He was only 8. My mother developed a really bad drinking problem because my dad took me away. He made sure she couldn’t see me. My mother never did anything wrong to me, nor him. He was a really mean guy. I was to stay in my room all hours of the day. I was to go nowhere. So I became socially isolated from everyone. I developed trust issues when kids found out what had happened to me when I was younger. They would point and stare at me, I was 9 by then so I really took it hard. Now I’m living with my mother again, my brother lives with her too. We still to this day never talk about what had happened. By now, my moms too far gone in the alcohol and is always telling me it’s all my fault, that I’m the one that caused it. She had worked so hard to make the money to get me back, she avoided my brother. He hates me because I ruined his life, he never had a father and I guess I took our mom away from him. Now I’m a dropout because the principal wouldn’t stop suspending me for things I never did. He made sure he called the parent of every friend I had and told them I had an alcohol problem. When I don’t. Now I have no friends, and I have a Social Phobia. I get nervous and full of fear around people and I’m scared of leaving my house. When people stare at me, I have trouble breathing. I’ve attempted suicide a couple of times and failed. Is there anything at all that can help me?

I Think I’m Depressed

A.

As much as you appreciate us here listening to you—we appreciate the courage of those writing in and the determination to find something better. Let’s see if we can help.

I think you need to talk to your school’s guidance counselor to start sorting this through. A lot of your family members have significant problems and the support you will need for change comes from other people. Your school guidance counselor can help. Also, because of your mom’s drinking you may want to consider Alateen, a support group for teenagers whose parents have drinking problems. They should have groups nearby where you live, as well as online support.

I Think I’m Depressed