Home » How angry is too angry?

How angry is too angry?

I live a good life, I have a loving family and I am successful academically and athletically. It happens in waves it seems but I am aggitated and angry for weeks sometimes months. I can sit in class and the teacher’s voice seems to grate on my nerves. I feel like I could just snap at any moment. I have been struggling with this for awhile but I thought it was just a “teenager thing”. So I have to ask the cliche question…is this normal?
Thank you

How angry is too angry?

A.

The concern here seems to be that it is upsetting you. So even if we couch it as a “normal” response –which it certainly seems to be—it is still uncomfortable to you.

The cornerstone of this is in understanding what anger is psychologically. It can be brought on by a variety of bodily issues, but the psychological understanding of it is rather straightforward.

Anger comes from a need that hasn’t been met, and is often an attempt to make someone (perhaps even ourselves) feel guilty. Consider it as an agitated form of helplessness. Whenever there is something that we feel out of control over, or a need that is going unmet, we will typically get angry or depressed.

As long as there are no reasons for you to physically feel agitated, consider what may be making you feel helpless. Once you do this you can make direct attempts to deal with these issues.

Since you are in college you may find help at the college’s counseling center to help sort this through.

How angry is too angry?