Home » Depression » Depression and Finding The Right Medication

Depression and Finding The Right Medication

I have had depression for 3 years. I started taking zoloft 75mg and I was able to come out of depression after a year and half. I eventually weaned myself off of zoloft in april 2010 because I always felt severe fatigue when I was taking it which caused me to feel even more depressed. I have felt pretty good without the meds but here latley I am back to crying for no reason and only able to think about what needs to be done instead of doing it. I feel very overwhelmed when I go to do anything, so I just stay on the couch and do nothing. I feel very irritable when I do have to get up to do anything, and not being able to do anything has been with me since my depression started pretty much. My main question is….. what medication would be best to get me up and moving without feeling irritable or angry or overwhelmed? I have tried taking Wellbutrin but it only made my mind wide awake but I still could not move my body. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

A.

There are many depression medications on the market. Here is a link, where you can read more about the different types. For many people, finding the right medication can be a complicated process. It usually requires trying several different medications or dosages to find what works best. It is a process that requires patience. I would suggest further discussing this matter with your physician. If you are seeing a primary care physician, you may want to consider a psychiatrist instead (or in addition to). Primary care physicians commonly prescribe antidepressant medication to their patients but they are general practitioners. Mental health is not their specialty. Psychiatrists specialize in prescribing medication for psychiatric conditions. This is their area of expertise. Their specialized knowledge would be advantageous to you and may expedite the process of finding the right medication.

It is the general consensus among mental health professionals that the most comprehensive approach to treating depression is a combination of medication and psychotherapy. If your only form of treatment for depression is medication, you are at a disadvantage. You would in essence be receiving only half of the recommended treatment for your condition. I would suggest psychotherapy to help you address what is causing the depression. Generally speaking, there are logical reasons behind the development of depression. Psychotherapy can help you examine those reasons. Psychotherapy can also teach you how to make positive life changes. If you have not tried psychotherapy, you should strongly consider it. The “find help” tab at the top of this page can lead you to a psychotherapist in your community. Your doctor may also be able to provide you with a referral. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.