Home » I cannot afford my therapist

I cannot afford my therapist

I cannot afford my therapist anymore and I really am lonely that is literally the only person I am able to talk to I have no friends and my boyfriend dumped me. Its sad enough that I can only pay someone to talk to but now that I cant afford it I just dont really know where to turn to.

I cannot afford my therapist

A.

THe first thing to do is to talk with your therapist. It’s possible that she has a sliding fee scale or can work out a payment plan for you. It’s also likely that she will know of low-cost therapy in your area. You live in a city where there are many mental health clinics. Be honest with her about the problem and give her a chance to help you.

Another option to consider is group therapy. Often group costs considerably less than individual therapy. That doesn’t mean that it is “second string” treatment. There are some issues where group is the treatment of choice. For example, for someone like yourself who has trouble making or keeping friends, group can be a place to get valuable feedback and support for developing good social skills.

If you do need to take a break from therapy due to finances, please consider joining an online support group such as the ones here at Psych Central. People who are struggling with the same issues can offer you compassionate support and insight.

I cannot afford my therapist