I’m 46 yrs old . I have no job, no family, except my 3 kids, no health insuance, no friends, I realized that I have been screwed-up in the head for a very long time, because of abuse physical and emotional abuse that I received as a kid from my parents. I need to get some sort of help (therapy and or counseling) but dont know where to go. Can you help me?

A. I believe you’re on the right track. You recognize that the problems of your childhood are negatively affecting your life and you want to receive help. Therapy could be very beneficial to you. It can help you deal with the trauma that you endured as a child.

There are ways that you can access therapy even without health insurance. The two main options include contacting a local community mental health center for services or calling the local health department. Explain your situation and ask them to connect you with free or low-cost services for individuals without health insurance. They should be able to direct you to the appropriate resources.

I would also suggest calling the United States Department of Health and Human Services National Mental Health Information Center, at 800-789-2647. They may be able to direct you to free or low-cost mental health counseling in your community. Here’s a link to the website. The website also has a feature where you can type in your zip code and locate other services in your community.

In your search for a therapist, you might want to consider choosing one who will explore your childhood. Some mental health professionals are “present-day focused” and may not find it helpful or necessary to explore your childhood. Generally speaking, the best way to find a therapist is to call several, detail the problem you would like help with, and choose the one with whom you feel the most comfortable.

I hope these resources are helpful to you. Please take care.