I think I might have some osrt of ADHD. My mind is constantly wandering and I can never seem to pay attention to anything. When somebody asks me a question sometimes I know that I know the answer but I just can’t seem to find it and it literally feels like there’s nothing but blur in my head. I guess bottomline, I want to get professional help with this but I’m only 14 and I don’t know how to approach the question with my parents. Advice?

A: I am very proud of you for taking the initiative to get some advice and learn about yourself. No matter what –you have done the right thing in trying to understand yourself better.

Here is a link to an overview with a lot of good information about tADD/ADHD.

Take this quiz. If it seems like there is an issue, make an appointment with the school guidance counselor or social worker. Explain that you have an issue that you can’t talk to your parents about. The quiz isn’t official, but it may give you something to use as a way to start a conversation with your guidance counselor. He or she can help you find a way to talk to your parents and perhaps get some testing done. ADD/ADHD has many facets to it and may have symptoms that look like other things, or may be nothing. Your guidance counselor is a good first step. But if you have a physical with your physician for the beginning of the school year, he or she can help you too.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan