Home » Ask the Therapist » Pregnant in a car accident

Pregnant in a car accident

I have recently become very depressed after a recent car accident. I’m 6 months pregnant and have been having relationship issues I was on my way to see the father (We have been separated for the last month approximately) to work things out when I was involved in a car accident in which family members were hurt. I was the driver of the car and although there was nothing I could have done to prevent the accident I still feel at fault. I have had trouble with sleeping and eating since the incident. With the car accident and the relationship troubles it has really been hard to cope with all of the emotions running through my head.

Pregnant in a car accident

A.

The emotional traumas of a car accident combined with the difficulties of your situation (not to mention the hormonal shift your body is going through) are good reasons why you are having trouble eating and sleeping. I would work with a trauma therapist familiar with post-traumatic stress disorder and who has training in EMDR, a particular technique used with individuals who have experienced traumatic events. I am not diagnosing you with PTSD, but someone who knows their way though traumatic reactions can best evaluate the events you’ve described. This is likely to be a good place to begin; you can find someone in your area that specializes in this under the find help tab above.

Pregnant in a car accident