Home » Am I bulimic or not?

Am I bulimic or not?

Starting around January of this year I have begun to increasingly throw up meals. One of my best friends is bulimic/anorexic and is addicted to exercising. I don’t binge…I eat generally healthy meals with a little sweet at the end of lunches. I don’t eat many pastas and pizzas anymore except on occasion. I am at the point I throw up almost once a day…I usually throw up if I eat outside of my three meals a day (breakfast/lunch/dinner). Am I bulimic or on my way to being bulimic?

Am I bulimic or not?

A.

The simple answer is “yes.” You have an eating disorder. But I’m concerned that you are more interested in knowing the diagnosis than in getting help. You are hurting yourself. I think you know that. Although it may give you some temporary relief, throwing up every day isn’t good for your physical or mental health. As you are already discovering, it’s a behavior that can get addictive.

Please locate a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and figure out what you are avoiding or managing by being so focused on your food intake (and outgo). You will feel much better about yourself if you deal with the issues directly. Your body will thank you.

Am I bulimic or not?