Home » Object Relations?

Object Relations?

When I look at an object, I come with only the most basic relations – how it tastes, smells, etc. – but beyond such direct imagery, I seem to have to make a real effort to get to any other thought about an object – nothing “reminds” me of another incident, person, or thing – no thought process is initiated. Is this normal?

This might not seem like a mental “problem” per se, but I feel that there is a lack of ability to emotionally or logically associate everyday objects/events to other object/events. Could I please get a professional opinion?

Object Relations?

A.

It sounds like you recognize the fact that you are not able to make full associations to objects, and I imagine there is some frustration with this awareness. I am glad you are open to learning more about how you process information.

While there is too little information for me to hazard a diagnostic opinion, there are several possibilities that warrant further testing. I would encourage you to make an appointment with a neuropsychologist or a neurologist in your area. These professionals are skilled in taking your history and following through with a detailed examination of your circumstances. Some conditions, like various types of agnosia, would require a diagnosis made by a professional.

Each of us perceives and learns of the world in unique ways. I think your desire to learn more about your process can only add to your growth as a person.

Object Relations?